Russell W. Behne wrote:

I want to listen to some sound files at http://www.harrybrowne.org/Archives.htm
but I get an error saying ``mms is not a registrated protocol.'' I also want to be able to listen to streaming audio at http://www.radioamerica.org/radioamericaaudiolink.html.

Is there a way I can set my browsers (Mozilla, Konqueror,) to play these files?

MMS is a streaming format for Windows Media Services. The way Harry is giving access to those streams is not recommended. He should be using an .asx file to direct your browser to the stream where mplayer, Windows Media Player or Xine would pick it up. I would stick with the downloads in the right column. They are the same files, just not streamed.

Come to think of it... I don't even think those files are being "streamed". True streaming requires a "Windows Media Server" streaming server. This appears as if he is doing faux streaming using a standard web server. It is delivering the same files as when you click on the links in the right hand column, but it's using a proprietary protocol to deliver them while adding unnecessary difficulties.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
13:20:01 up 2 days, 36 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.10, 0.80, 0.68

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)