lorne wrote:
I know that previous version of Mandrake did have an editor. Darned if I can find one now. I have some wave and mp3 files I want to burn to CDrom and some of them have a VERY annoying screech at the beginning I want to clip off. you'd think this easy to find... am I just having a brain fart?

I don't have much experience with this but you might want to take a look at hackaudacity in 9.1/contrib/. There was some bug in audacity that made hackaudacity a better choice, at the time I looked at it. Here is the qip:

Audacity is a program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms.

In addition to letting you record sounds directly from within the program,
it imports many sound file formats, including WAV, AIFF, MP3 and Ogg/Vorbis.
It supports all common editing operations such as Cut, Copy, and Paste, plus
it will mix tracks and let you apply plug-in effects to any part of a sound.
It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram
mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications.

Rolf