On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 16:23, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> Hi folks. Question about MDK 9.1. I've been running 9.1 since it came out,
> with few major problems. However, when I've booted my computer the last 2
> nights it makes it's way to the graphical login screen with no noticeable
> problems, but the mouse won't move and the caps lock and scroll lock lights
> are flashing as I'm prompted to log in. The numlock light is not flashing nor
> is it lit at this time. Oh yeah, keyboard doesn't work either. Now, since I'm
> the consumate Linux genius I hit the reset button to reboot (can't get to
> another terminal). System wants to run fsck, you know, "press Y in 5
> seconds". So I press Y and after a few minutes I'm left at a term window
> because system says "can't fix file system". No graphics or X. I wonder what
> I should have done. I ran drakxconf and checked the display config.
> Everything seems ok, so get out of there and reboot again. This time all is
> well and I make it to KDE. No prob for the rest of the night. Tonight the
> same thing, i.e., mouse frozen, lights flashing, no keyboard, hit reset.
> Computer reboots, sez to hit "Y" again to run fsck, but I pass on the offer.
> Again all is well and here I am in KDE land.
>
> Any ideas what causes this behavior guys and gals? The computer's behavior,
> not mine. :)
>
> TIA

I can think of a number of things.... not least of which is heat. (bad
fan) or bad memory.  is there anything in /var/log/messages to indicate
a problem.  Have you opened up the box and Gently (as in no harder than
your lungs can blow) blown the dust out.  (Dustpuppy LIVES!)  If fans
and dust are all good to go.. try putting a desktop style fan blowing on
the open side. If this seems to make things happy then it's definitely
the fans .... Replace they CPU fan with a better quality one (They do
wear out.)  Also be sure to use some really high quality heat grease
(Artic Silver comes to mind... but get the best you can find.)  between
the fan and CPU.  If it doesn't improve things move to testing memory.
Run something like memtest86 (freely available) overnight.  In the
morning you'll know if you've a bad stick. (it's a long and very
complete test.)  This really sounds like a hardware problem.  Not
software.

james