On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 20:15, Apollo (Carmel Entertainment) wrote:
> OK, so I have my web/mail/webmail server running RedHat9.0 (will be switching to
> mandrake in two weeks), fileserv/database is sitting on RedHat7.1 (haven't
> touched the system for a year).
> All clients are Win98 with MSOffice/MSAccess.
> My plan is to move all workstation to Mandrake9.1 with OpenOffice and MSAccess
> running via CrossoverOffice(Wine). All workstations will be identical in setup,
> so I can just do one image and copy it on all the drives.
>
> Here is what I want to achieve:
> 1. When wokrstations power up, they get an IP address from DHCP. DHCP only gives
> you and IP if your MAC address matches the mac assigned to you together with IP
> on the DHCP (already have this working). I would like the users to see Initlevel
> 5, so they have graphic log-on
> 2. I want the inside server (fileserv/database server) to hold all
> authentication (the simpler process, the better),common folders (and serve them
> via something native, would NFS do?, where can I get a HOW-TO?).

NFS or SMB, whatever is easier for you to work with. See
http://www.tldp.org

>  All employees
> use same folders. Can this all be done from the moment user logs in?

Cake, just set up groups and make the shared directories group-writable
as necessary. Make sure you edit msec's policy so it doesn't undo your
work :-)

> 3. Key is, as much automation and as little time as possible for administration

LDAP is a good thing for central authentication, but it's also a lot of
work to set up. You might be better off with synchronized passwords to
start with.

Automation is best set up by running the system for a while -- if you
find yourself doing things over and over again, find a tool or write a
script to do it for you.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...