On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 07:13, lorne wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 10:26 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >         libwx_gtk-2.3.so.1   is needed by hackaudacity-1.1.0-4mdk
>
> I used urpmi, which also failed, but... urpmf then showed me that the
> only versions of libwx_gtk Mandrake has are 2.4.*, which is why it
> failed.
>
> OOH!. Just learned something new. Thank you!
>
> > dunno if hackaudacity is different, but I just loaded audacity and had
> > the same problem. So I closed it and tried again with soundwrapper
> > audacity, which worked.
> >
> Okay, help an old fart out.... soundwrapper audacity? Is this a different
> program or a different way of launching it?

APPLICATION LEVEL      : play, esdplay, sox, &c.
SOUND DAEMON LEVEL (*d): esd, artsd, nsd -- optional but very nice.
DRIVER LEVEL  (modules): OSS or ALSA, /dev/sound/ entries
HARDWARE LEVEL  (cards): whatever-sound-chip-you've-got

basically, some sound-related applications try to access the driver
level directly, which the daemon typically blocks them from doing.
soundwrapper is a script that intercepts that access and reformats it to
go through the daemon. You can test it from a terminal by typing
soundwrapper audacity, and if it works you can change your menu shortcut
with menudrake (run as root).

> > If a program is really obstinate and you use artsd, try artsdsp -m
> > program (this works real well for games).

This is when the program expects certain hardware features -- the -m
tells artsd to emulate those features.

> I'm sure I don't just type artsd, or artsdsp -m at the bash prompt right? I
> tried that but I'm sure I need to remove something or ?

If you use KDE, you're probably using artsd. Use your favorite process
viewer, such as pstree to figure out what's running. I'm also a big fan
of treeps, but I think it needs to be compiled from source.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...