From: James Sparenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:06 PM
To: Expert List
Subject: Re: [expert] can't connect to /mnt/cdrom (MDK 9.1)

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 11:50, James D. Parra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tried to cd to /mnt/cdrom, but received, -bash: cd: /mnt/cdrom:
Input/output
> error.
>
> The fstab has the following entry;
>
> none /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepa
> ge=850,umask=0 0 0
>
> Why is the "none" in there and is this what is causing the problem? I went
> to another MDK box and received the same error.
>
> What's happening and how can I fix this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> James

usually the I/0 error is because the cd drive cannot for whatever reason
read the cd itself.  This is equivalent to the windows "drive not ready"
pop-up window.  In either case the problem is the same.  The hardware
can't read the media.

james

PS.  Your fstab is good.  Seems that with supermount the first thing
declared has to be a dev if you don't want supermount to handle it.  If
you do ... you put it in later, and start the line with none.  Note that
this is AFIAK and subject to error correction.