On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 11:46, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I want to build a box whose main purpose would be video capture from
> camcorder and vhs, editing, and burning to either vcd or dvd.  All
> funds available should go into the most essential bits for that
> purpose, so I'd like some opinions, please.
>
> Mobo - I'm torn between Asus A7v8X-X and Soltek SL-KT400-A4C.  Specs
> are very similar.  Both have Via KT400/VT8235 chipsets.
>
> Asus has 8x agp and Soltek has 4x agp

I've been led to believe (and I don't have a link at the moment) that 8x
support in XFree is less than optimal with the 2.4 kernel but that the
2.6 will have it much better.

> Asus has Realtek 6-chanel codec, which I take to mean on-board sound,
> and Soltek has 6-ch AC'97 Audio.  I've always avoided on-board audio
> in the past, disabling it and putting in a card.  Is that still worth
> the effort/expense?
>
> Asus also offers on-board lan.  I think these have been troublesome?

I've had good (as in very) luck with a number of these as long as it
isn't a Davicom chip.  Neither has this chip so you should be good.

> Graphics cards - since I don't do gaming I've not been into the latest
> thing in video cards, so I don't know what is significant and what is
> hype.  I'm looking at 128MB XFX Geforce4 MX44- or FX5200.  I could go
> higher if there's a real advantage.  Any thoughts?

Big power supply *grin* meaning over 350 watts.

> Any comments about anything I haven't mentioned that is significant in
> this scenario?

Go to tomshardware.com and take a look to see if they have reviewed
either or both of these motherboards.  I'd also look at their reviews of
video cards.