manolis wrote:

Hi,

I want to do the following:
I have a software running in a real windows partition .
I want to copy the partition to a virtual vmware partition so I can handle the software inside the vmware.
I don't want to use the real partition isndie the vmware but just a copy of it.

any ideas?

koppermind

All on the same machine, right? As a second partition, no problem.

Best option -- share the partition via VMWare's built in Samba, then mount it in the VM as drive F: or something. See /etc/vmware/vmnet1/smb/smb.conf

If it has to be a copy instead of access to the real thing:
share it as above (make it read-only for safety)
shut down the VM and edit it.
Create a new fake disk partition (say, drive D:) of the same size as the partition you want to copy.
Start the VM and browse to your own host in network neighborhood, then copy everything to drive D:.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle.Org: Integrating Value, Simians, and Pasta Since 1996.