-----Original Message-----
From: HaywireMac [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 September 2003 20:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Verisign hijacks .com and .net DNS space

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:57:15 +0100
"Chris Slater-Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Has anyone else heard about this? Read it and boycott them!

Or just fuck 'em. There are a couple of recommendations from Slashdot
posters on how to defeat this.

One is:

" I just added the line:

    route add 64.94.110.11 reject

to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. That ought to do it."

another mentions:

"if you have a REAL router (or a DSL router even) you should be able to
null-route that IP. Or actually, you might even be able to convince your ISP
to do it with a short, friendly letter to the admin."

I would like to do that on my router/NAT, but I'm not sure what he means by
"null-route"...I have an option for "access control" on there, but I am not
sure if this is what it is for:

http://www.orderinchaos.org/router.png

what would be the easiest way to do this?

"Null routing" means sending packets with a given destination to a black
hole, where they just disappear.

On a Cisco router this would look like:

ip route 64.94.110.11 255.255.255.255 null 0

So just as, when sending *nix output to /dev/null, it goes nowhere, routing
to null also leads to nowhere.

Chris Slater-Walker
BA CCDA CCNP CCSP
Senior network designer