On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 17:38, Apollo (Carmel Entertainment) wrote:
> I have Mandrake 9.1 on my server and same on workstations. Workstations have
> full install in them, not just minimum. I would like to be able to have
> workstation during log-in ability to choose to log-in localy or into xdm server.
> How can it be done?
> Now when I enter /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query xserverhostnme all I get is just blue
> background and nothing else, no login prompt.
> Any advice?

check /var/log/messages during the attempted login. (use tail -f)On both
boxes. It will tell you a lot. I had this happening myself and the
problem was the return path didn't have the correct ports open (I'm not
in front of the box so I don't have the port numbers in front of me.)
but if I remember right it's 177 (tcp and udp) that needs to be open.

James

--
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.