Richard Bown wrote:

Hi All,
I've persuaded a friend after a lot of nagging to move over to linux, so
he's bought the boxed MDK 9.1.

The onboard network card was found but the interface  eth0 would'nt come
up as it complained the device was busy.

So onboard NIC disabled in the bios and a card fitted , realtek 8139
clone.
Eth0 comes up OK and data goes out , but not seeing anything incoming.
The card is OK , checked on another machine.
However the interrupt its using is INT 6, which if I remember correct is
the interrupt reserved for the floppy drive.
This makes me a little suspicious !,
Is there away of forcing the interrupt for the NIC to use,its plug and
pray .

Thanks Richard

Try two things :
- in the bios : "Plug and Play OS" should be set to No
- when booting : boot zith option "noapic" (at boot, press esc, then type the name of your lilo entry followed by noapic.

Eric