On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 21:14, Luis Duran wrote:
> Everytime i get connected with my dial up ISP, i get this notice in my
> /var/log/messages files:
>
> Sep 22 00:05:20 elebis kernel: martian source my.ppp0.ip.address from
> 127.0.0.1, on dev ppp0
>
> I will applreciate if you can tell me what does it means ?

"martians" are network packets that arrive on interfaces where they
weren't expected. For instance, if your ethernet card is 192.168.1.0/24
and your modem is 10.0.0.1/32, any incoming 192.168.1.0/24 source
address would be flagged as a martian and logged.

It's usually a sign of misconfiguration and can sometimes be a sign of
malicious activity. Never attribute to malice that which can be
adequately explained by sloth or ignorance though :-)

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...