Felix Miata wrote:
Rolf Pedersen wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

How do I get grub back?

FWIW, /dev/hda has 22 partitions. IIRC, it had 19 when I last installed
9.1 on it. It has 255hd, 63s, 1111cyl, & units = 16065 * 512 on a PIIX4
00:07.1 controller. A NEC ehci USB 2.0 PCI host was added since last
install.

Pretend I'm Gomer Pyle: thank you thank you thank you!!!

Is grub installed w/o problem (rpm -V grub)?

I don't understand this output, even after reading man rpm:

..5..... /boot/grub/stage2

I thought the 5 meant something to do with md5sum, but it happened
initially, then not after 'rpm -e grub...' followed by 'rpm -i grub...',
then again after reboot, and still now. The time it didn't, the return
was simply blank.

If it is and you did not re-partition for the re-install, there should
be /boot/grub/install.sh and you could try:

sh /boot/grub/install.sh

This did work!!! So, since this can do it, what is the problem with
grub-install?

I have not used grub-install but, from info grub > installing grub > invoking grub-install, I see a possible syntax error. The example given is like

grub-install '(hd0)'

There is a syntax similar to one you tried in the Linux+Win9x+Grub HOWTO from the Documentation category:

# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

which should install grub to the MBR of the first disk. Maybe your command did install to /dev/hda5, which I frequently do to install multiple OS's but would not touch the MBR, where lilo was. Grub installed to a partition can be loaded with a menu item in the menu for grub installed in the MBR like:

title 9.2 rc2 grub
root (hd3,11)
chainloader +1

and choosing this title from the primary grub menu.

I am somewhat more familiar with installing from the grub shell, for which I also defer to info grub but there is a documented procedure, after calling grub as root, that includes something like

 root (hd0,0)
 setup (hd0)

It is possible, relative to what Mark Weaver wrote, that reinstalling grub rewrote the map and stagex files in such a way that reflected any changes in disk notation that occurred since the first time you installed 9.1 but I couldn't say for sure.

Rolf