Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
EXT2-fs: ide0(3,7): couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4).
mount: error 22 mounting ext2 flags Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

What does the "3" in "ide0(3,7)" mean? I'm assuming the 7 corresponds to
/dev/hda7, which is my root partition. What "additional features" is it
referring to? What is error 22? I got the same response trying to boot from
boot floppy.

Afterwards, I booted the hd.img floppy, and typed in rescue. The installer
seemed to start, but then I had a menu to pick what to do. Menu choices were:

Re-install boot loader (not the apparent problem)
Restore windoze boot loader (not applicable)
Mount your partitions under /mnt
Go to console
Reboot
Doc: what's addressed by this Rescue?

I read the last, as well as http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/arecov.html,
then chose 'Go to console'. I ran fsck.ext2 on all relevant partitions, then
nosed around, finding apparently nothing at all wrong. So, I rebooted, and
everything is normal again.

What happened?

Background:

System was solid for several years. Monday for some reason, the / partition
got irretrievably corrupted. I took the opportunity to install 9.1 fresh, and
to select ext3 instead of ext2 for it. It worked fine all day yesterday after
installing on Monday. Today I decided to move files from several partitions on
hda to one partition on sdb. One source partition is/was vfat (fat32), while
all others are/were ext2 or ext3. When copying one iso from the source to the
target, I got a segmentation fault, something I'd never experienced on any
machine running any Linux. I rebooted, then tried the same procedure, and got
the same fault. So, next I booted RedHat 7.3 instead, and tried yet again to
copy that one iso from the vfat partition. Again I got a segfault. So, since
it was pretty likely some hardware problem, I thought and realized I was running
overclocked, an 83MHz bus speed on a board certified only to 66. I changed the
jumpers to bring it back to 66MHz, and it's been behaving ever since.
--
"...[B]e quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry...."
                                                James 1:19 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/