I am running TightVNC under a new install of Mandrake 9.1 with 256MB ram.  I
boot Mandrake at runlevel 3.

If I start vncserver at the the command prompt, then IceWM is served up when
I access it from a client.  If I startx and then open a command window and
run vncserver, I get KDE when I login from a client.  The command in both
cases is "vncserver -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 :x".  Is it going to
different vnc startups based on whether or not I have x started?

Even more troubling is trying to use it.  Under Ice I get the start button
but Mandrake Control Center won't come up.  Under KDE, I get the wallpaper
and the clipboard and calendar icons and nothing else.  It appears hung at
that point.

Any suggestions?