Well, in the midst of trying different things, I had installed and
uninstalled gnome-pilot and conduits then sendmail (postfix is
what I have on the server, but I never installed it on my laptop)
was next because it was what gnome-pilot wanted to use by default.
 That didn't work either, hence my original email.  Anyway, after
your reply, I went back through and checked everything in jpilot
and then just for kicks, I rebooted the laptop and VIOLA!  It now
works!  It had to be the installation of sendmail that did the
trick - though when I was trying to use gnome-pilot, I was using
it with evolution and I thought that it would do the sync WITH
evolution and that sendmail / postfix / etc, would not be
necessary.  Sometimes it seems that there are so many solutions to
getting the job done, that I get lost!

Well, thanks Hay; I'm able to send email that I've typed on my
visor through my laptop when I get home now.

mike

--
Michael Holt
Snohomish, WA                      (o_

"Fear knocked, faith answered, no one was there..."