Hi James,

>> May I ask use another question? I don't know if it attributed to the KDE
>> corruption. I'm seeing lots Samba sessions opened on my box, memory is
>> taken up quickly. But no swap is used. Is there a way I can troubleshoot
>> this further. I'm using the free command. When I do /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
>> restart, I see smb fails to stop but can start. Please help.
>
> Sounds like you've got a pid that got left behind.  In that it trys to
> stop pid 12283 (an arbitrary number) then it starts ... immediately dies
> on you and leaves behind a pid.  After you do the smb restart have you
> done a ps ax | grep smb or /etc/init.d/smb status to see if it is in
> fact running.  Sounds almost as if it's repeatedly trying to work but
> can't. Not sure here others may have more info.  But something is
> starting to sound kinda fishy.

This is exactly what I am seeing. /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart would cause
smbd trying to stop some arbitrary pids. For some of them I get warnings
that they are not found. And shutdown fails. This doesn't happen every time
I restart smbd. It seems to happen only when lots users are connected to
Samba and memory are exhausted. May I ask how much RAM people use for ~100
users Samba servers? Do you have any recommendations that I troubleshoot
this further? I'm going to increase the RAM to 1GB today.

Regards,
Norman