On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:02 pm, John Haywood wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:41 pm, Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > On searching the web I came across afpfs that allows me to mount hfs
> > volumes. Unfortunately afpfs is too old and cannot be compiled at 9.2rc1.
> > Does someone out there has a solution on how to mount hfs volumes
> > remotely?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Eduardo
>
> Eduardo, if you search in the ´Mandrake 9.x´ and ´Mandrake other´ areas on
> pbone:
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/
>
> there will be a couple of 2.4.22 kernels in contrib and cooker which have
> the hfsplus module built in. Thereafter, you should be able to specify a
> filesystem type in a regular mount command.
>
> Alternately, there are packages/source at ftp.penguinppc.org/users/hasi,
> called hfsplusutils, which support read-only access, and looks pretty
> promising (that said, I´d be reading the doco to check before entrusting
> critical data ....)

(replying to own post here -- first signs of geek-senility...)

OK, I´ve installed hfsplusutils-1.0.4-4.i386.rpm (src.rpm wouldn´t rebuild on
my system, didn´t want to muck around), and ....

...it works!!

took a Mac OSX-partitioned firewire drive, plugged it in to Linux i386 box,
checked dmesg to find device (/dev/sda), and

[EMAIL PROTECTED] john]$ hpmount  -r  -p3 /dev/sda (read-only, partition 3)

then

[EMAIL PROTECTED] john]$ hpls

Apps
ATOG Macintosh HD_asr.dmg
Backup_bootie.sparseimage
BBEdit User Manual (HTML)
BBEditUserManual_HTML.sit.bin
Build additions
Carbon Copy Cloner
Citrix ICA Client
client_50540.sit

etc...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] john]$ hpcopy -r Picture\ 1.pdf /home/john/ (raw data copy)

gives a readable pdf

Finally [EMAIL PROTECTED] john]$ hpumount

Now, I guess I´d like it to mount somewhere tangible, rather than virtual, but
all in all, I´m impressed. It mounted  the first partition (which is MacOSX
Server), the second (MacOSX Client), and the third (MacOSX data drive)
flawlessly. Even if the documentation is a bit nonexistent, it´s certainly
quicker than ftp...
--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.1, Kernel version: 2.4.21-0.25mdk