On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 09:13, Anton wrote:
> Sorry but there is a stony silence on newbie... there seems to be a lot
> of political traffic though... if this is not the place to be asking the
> sorts of questions I'm asking could someone please direct me to the
> right place?
> Thanks
> Anton

that sort of thing (lengthy OT flamewars on tech help lists) really bugs
me.

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up my mandrake 9.1 box to be the gateway to my
> recently created network with a single windoze ME machine on the private
> subnet. I have finally managed to get the ME machine able to reach the
> outside world but to be honest I can't really work out how! I tried
> pretty much everything and nothing worked... and then it just started
> working. My general process was to just keep running drakgw until the
> damn thing worked - finally it did. (i tried knetfilter, and everything
> else I could get my hands on, but I'm still a newbie...). The problem is
> this. EVERY time I want the ME machine to work I have to rerun drakgw.
> Not only that, however, but I have to go in and manually reset the
> default to the dialup address, as running drakgw always seems to put the

dialup as in a modem? I'm going to assume so below:

> default back to my home net interface (ethernet). What is going on here?

The GUI tools for doing this stuff are trying hard, but they're still
lacking. As root, go to /etc/shorewall and start editing files.

interfaces:
#ZONE    INTERFACE      BROADCAST       OPTIONS
net     ppp0    detect
masq    eth0    detect

masq:
#INTERFACE              SUBNET          ADDRESS
eth0    192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

policy:
#SOURCE         DEST            POLICY          LOG LEVEL
LIMIT:BURST
masq            net             ACCEPT
fw              masq            ACCEPT
fw              net             ACCEPT
net             all             DROP            info
all             all             REJECT          info

zones:
#ZONE   DISPLAY         COMMENTS
net     Net             Internet zone
masq    Masquerade      Masquerade Local

rules:
any exceptions to the policy. Leave it alone for now unless you want to
serve stuff to the Internet.

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=machine.whatever.tld
DOMAINNAME=whatever.tld
GATEWAY=isp.gw.ip.address
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0
FORWARD_IPV4=true

service network restart
service shorewall restart

> Also simply booting up the ME machine resets the default route to the
> address of the local subnet interface! (even though it be on the dialup
> after connecting to the net)

that's right. ME should send Internet-bound traffic to the Mandrake
box's inside interface; Linux will then route it onward.

> Another issue is that the dhcp doesn't seem to be working. I originally
> set up a network with XP (which I also have on the mdk9.1 box) and used
> a disk created by the xp wizard to get it going. Somehow ME always
> manages to set the IP address to 192.168.0.163, and the gateway to
> 192.168.0.1 - what it originally had for the xp network. Mdk9.1 seems to
> want to have a subnet starting with 192.168.1.1 but ME isn't listening
> to the dhcp (which I guess should be running, as it seems as if that is
> what it says it is doing) and just sets itself to 192.168.0.163. If I

/etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
INTERFACES="eth0"

/etc/dhcpd.conf
ddns-update-style none;
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        # default gateway
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option domain-name "whatever.tld";
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
        range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.253;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;
        # I want my laptop to appear at a fixed address
        host othermachine {
                next-server othermachine.whatever.tld;
                hardware ethernet the:mac:address:in:hex;
                fixed-address 192.168.1.x;
                }
}

chkconfig dhcpd on