On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, ed tharp wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:14, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
>
> > So it comes down to what appears to be permissions on /dev/video0, since root
> > can run it.
> >
> > I've changed it (as has Anne) umpteen times, even opening it to "777" status
> > but no go, I've also added every group (but root) to my user account and that
> > does not make a diff. either.
> >
> > We're wide open for ideas here. :-)
> who owns /dev/v4l/video?
> ie;
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/vid ('tab' key pressed)
> video   video0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/video0
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Sep 28 16:07 /dev/video0 ->
> v4l/video          0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/video
> lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Sep 28 16:07 /dev/video ->
> v4l/video0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/v4l/v
> vbi0    video0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/v4l/video0
> crw-------    1 et       sys       81,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/v4l/video0
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] et]# ls -all /dev/v4l/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 ./
> drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 ../
> crw-------    1 et       sys       81, 224 Dec 31  1969 vbi0
> crw-------    1 et       sys       81,   0 Dec 31  1969 video0

It may be worth noting that permissions on this and many other devices are
controlled by the settings within one's /etc/security/console.perms file.

I wrestled with a similar problem recently, trying to get xawtv to work
reliably on a 9.1 system with an older, Mach64-based ATI TV Wonder card. I
ended up having to go with using sudo to run it, and created a menu entry
and a desktop icon that invoked xawtv via sudo for the system's owner. So
far, so good, but I would have preferred to find a more elegant solution.

As this isn't a problem on 9.0 and earlier releases, something is borked
in this regard on 9.1, I strongly suspect ... but what?

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
The engineer is neither optimist nor pessimist. He sees the proverbial