On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 06:26:39 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Just installed the current NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA site.
> Everything works good (3D games, mplayer videos).
>
> I have a laptop with GeForce4 and the problem is that since I
> installed the nvidia driver I can't switch to tty1-6. I mean, I can
> switch to the console with Ctrl-Alt-Fn but there's nothing displayed
> there.
>
> I can blindly login and go back to tty7 and the /var/log/messages
> tells me that I logged in on tty1 (or 2-5). But the screen is dark.
>
> I tried all kinds of "vga=xxx" in my lilo.conf but after the nvidia
> driver is loaded my console screen is dark. When I disable the nvidia
> driver everything is ok on console.

I'm almost positive there was a thread on this just a short while ago,
and I do believe that was the crux of the problem. IIRC, it involved
disabling FrameBuffer mode altogether, but I may be wrong.

> Is there a way out of this? I'll have to do a presentation of Linux
> features tonight and I'd really like to show the console benefits but
> I have to keep the nvidia driver because those guys are also gamers.

I'll take a quick look through the archives for ya, I owe ya one... ;-)

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046