> Hello - I was wondering how to enable the thinkpad buttons under Mandrake
> 9.1 ? Things like volume control and screen brightness settings do not
> seem to function under X. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, -turgut

It depends a lot on your particular window manager, but here is a start:
Run xev in a terminal window to determine what the keycode settings are
for the extra keys.

Use these to populate your local .Xmodmap file to look like:
keycode 146 = XF86Mail
keycode 147 = XF86Search

Umm, I was looking for a complete list of XF86 keys and found this:

http://reviewed.homelinux.org/en/xfreekeyboard.html

Same idea but much explained much better than I... :D

--
The Digital Hermit      Unix and Linux Solutions
http://www.digitalhermit.com