Thanks "darklord",
  If I can't get decent performance out of regular wine, I may have to pay
for the wineX. Until then I'll struggle :) In any case, yesterday I
re-built DRI (Xfree86 that is). It took ages (for some reason its make
program starts at the beginning after a failure; and I had a few
compilation failures; usually simple things like they put a library file
into the wrong directory ,etc) but I finally got 'direct rendering: Yes'
in glxinfo. I will update Halflife today to its most recent version and
then try again. Thanks for letting me know of WineX..  -turgut

-----