> I have a corrupt tar file from way back:
>
> /stuff/keep_huff_sort/NewDir $ tar -xvf KEEP.TAR
> keep/
> keep/c/
> keep/c/arrays.c
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
[...]
> Any idea how to get around this?
>
> I think the file is corrupt, as opposed to "tar: Archive contains
> obsolescent base-64 headers" since it's from ~1996 (which is not
> *that* long ago :).

Try running "file" against the archive to determine if it's actually a tar
archive:
   > file KEEP.TAR

If you see something like "compressed" then you'll need to either extract
the file first then detar, or run tar with the 'z' switch:

  > tar xfvz KEEP.TAR

If it's just a regular tar file you can try opening it in an editor to get
out the text parts. There's no compression in a regular archive.
--
The Digital Hermit      Unix and Linux Solutions
http://www.digitalhermit.com