Bryan wrote:
:James, you might want to give us a little more info about how you are
:going to be setting things up.

Good idea.. sorry, I should know better than that.  Ok, here goes..

I'm running Mandrake 9.1, and I wish to use Postfix.  Postfix is already
installed and I can access it through Webmin.  I am running my own web
server and have a static ip, so I will be using my own domain with DNS MX
records already set.

One question to start off with.. I don't understand why all my virtual
servers EXCEPT the default virtual (the domain name) take so long to
resolve when I remove the cable from my old server (Mandrake 7.1) and plug
it into my new server (Mandrake 9.1).  For example, when I have the old
server physically connected to the Internet, everything works
wonderfully.. the virtuals and the default domain name.  When I unplug the
cable and connect it to the new server, all the virtuals work great, but
my default domain (which is *also* a virtual server) takes an hour or two
to resolve.  In other words, I can see my virtuals when I connect to the
internet with a different computer, but not the default virtual until an
hour or more later.. sometimes longer.  BUT, I *can* see the default
virtual if I type in the ip number (instead of the name) immediately.

Here is an example of my setup for the default:

@       IN      SOA     ns.vivid-eye.com. jamesf.efn.org. (
                        200309221       ; Serial
                        1H              ; Refresh
                        1H              ; Retry
                        1H              ; expire
                        1H)             ; Minimum
;
        NS              ns              ;Inet Address of name server
;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1

ns              A       63.224.195.57
ns2             IN A    63.224.195.60

www             CNAME   ns

vivid-eye.com.          IN      MX      10      www.vivid-eye.com.
vivid-eye.com.          IN      A       63.224.195.57
www.vivid-eye.com.      IN      CNAME   vivid-eye.com

Here is an example of one of my virtuals:

@       IN      SOA     powwowdance.com. james.efn.org. (
                        200306161       ; Serial
                        3H              ; Refresh
                        1H              ; Retry
                        1H              ; expire
                        1H)             ; Minimum
;
        NS              ns              ;Inet Address of name server
;
localhost       A       127.0.0.1

ns              A       63.224.195.57
ns2             IN A    63.224.195.60

@       IN      A       63.224.195.57

www     CNAME   ns

The virtual server powwowdance.com connects within a minute after I remove
the cable from the old server, and connect it to the new server, but the
vivid-eye.com doesn't show up for hours at least.

Ok, I mentioned all that because I have a feeling this is why I am not
getting Postfix to send and receive mail correctly.. since the
vivid-eye.com isn't being "seen."

Can I change something to have the default "vivid-eye.com" resolve as fast
at "powwowdance.com?"

Thanks.

james