From: "Olaf Marzocchi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 20.35 16/10/2003, you wrote:
> >The reason for dropping kernel-source, was AFAIK to make room for all the
> >  kde-i18n, koffice-i18n stuff... as you know mdk supports *many*
> >languages...
>
> i18n and similar were in other MDK distro... so they added something else,
> your explanation isn't an explanation.

Actually if you think about it a bit before discarding my statement, you see
what
I mean...
as packages / programs get developed / enchanced, they tend to grow, when
adding more features...

So here is a short comaprision...
MDK 9.1
- all kde* + koffice* + locales*  = ~240MB

MDK 9.2
- all kde* + koffice* + locales* = ~262MB

so there went ~22MB

compairing the same kernels:
MDK 9.1 ~73.6MB

MDK 9.2 ~86.2MB

so there went ~12.6MB

now I am at 34.6MB already ;-)
(wich is pretty much the size of kernel-source in 9.1,
 9.2 kernel-source is ~40MB)

and this list can be made longer... (I havent calculated any other)
as we upgraded gnome to 2.4 -> more space needed,
added more supported kernels...
and suddenly those 3 ISOs seem _very_ small...

and looking at 9.1 Prosuite Edition CDs+DVD ONLY,
they came with 8CD + 1DVD...

the same for 9.2 is 9 + 1DVD,
so that's 700MB of extra stuff between 9.1 and 9.2

> I hope the source will be back in next release, I have a 56k and, once I
> burned my 3 ISO downloaded somewhere else, I'd like to have the source of
> the kernel.
> If 3 ISO are not enough, release 3 ISO or remove some games, but NOT THE
> KERNEL SOURCE.
> Removing the kernel source will put off from Mandrake many potential
> Powerpack customers, I'm sure much more people than those that will buy
> Powerpack to have the sources or other extras...

and yes ...
I do understand that many people would have liked the
kernel-source on the download isos, but the descision has already
been made, cd's manufactured ... and so on...

Of course the next release could have a different decision...
who knows ...

but if you can't download the extra stuff over your modem,
you could of course go somewhere (friend / library / net-cafe),
where you can download it, burn it to a CD, and take it home...
and install from the cd...

and there will be an update kernel that will hitting the updates
when it's ready...

So then you would have to download the stuff anyway...

Regards

Thomas