ed tharp wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 13:08, Felix Miata wrote:

> > Yes, dual does mean 2 - 2 exactly. But, multi means more than 1. So, the
> > two terms can easily be confused when the actual count is two. The
> > difference is multiboot uses some type of boot manager that is capable
> > of switching among two *or more*, while dualboot is crude, normally
> > incapable of more than two.

> > AFAIK, IBM first made the distinction back before Torvalds' kernel was
> > first used for GPL operating systems, sometime around 1987 I think,
> > certainly by 1990.

> Dos 6, with a boot menu, iirc

That was M$ in March 1993, which has nothing to do with what I wrote.
DOS 6 boot menu is about choosing different configurations for one OS on
one partition. No kernel switching or choosing is involved.

IBM's first public distinction dates to the April 1992 release of the
IBM Boot Manager in OS/2 2.0, which provided the option to install
several operating systems on several partitions and choose among them
via menu on each boot. This was provided as an alternative to installing
OS/2 on the same partition as DOS, the dual boot option.

The conception of IBM Boot Manager apparently dates back to 1983, when
IBM first planned to have DOS and Xenix coexist on its PCs.
--
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...."
                                                Proverbs 9:10 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html