On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:19:43PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have just received the latest version of the fake M$ mails:
[...]
> While I was away several people told me that they were just doing
> something quite normal, 'and then I got the virus.  And I had done
> what Microsoft said in their message'.  I know it's ridiculous
> expecting virus writers to play fair, but this particular scam is the
> one most likely to trap otherwise wary people.  Aarrgghhh!  I'm not
> usually a violent person, but I'd like to hang, draw and quarter the
> person that thought this one up.

Well, you know, in my eyes, the problem with this is: Because of this,
even non-Windoze users are affected. The only Windows I have at home
is on a SunPCi card in my UltraSparc 10 (and even that's just for the
fun of having a computer within a computer) - but those viruses have
affected me heavily: Since "Swen" (or whatever it's name) was set
loose, I've counted something between 7000 and 8000 coming into my
mailboxes. I was on holiday around that time and (after only 5 days)
was greeted with 5000 of those suckers, totalling 450MB. Thankfully,
I'm on ADSL, otherwise I'd been *really* peeved off. Those days, they
came in at about 10-20/h, grrr.... Fortunatly, they've only hit the
one mail address I'm using in public (e.g. Usenet), which runs via a
second provider that offers filtering, so I was able to stop the flood
before it actually reaches my server (just get notification messages,
just in case I was overzealous with that filter), but it's still annoying.

And that doesn't even include all bounces of stupid anti-virus programs,
the authors of which have never heard of the concept of forged "From"
addresses...

Gone are the days when I could safely say: "Hey, I'm not using Windoze,
I'm not affected by that crap." Well, this time, I *am*. >:-(
</rant>

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org