OK, I've looked at the faqs and I've read the expert list.  I'm still
getting a max of 7.6 K/sec download speed where I should be seeing
between 70 to 90 K/sec.

I fiddled with the download.py file, finally changing it to:

 ('max_upload_rate', 0,
        'maximum kB/s to upload at, 0 means no limit'),

and

 ('max_uploads', 0,
        "the maximum number of uploads to allow at once."),

This increased my download speed from 2 something to what it is now,
which is 7 to 8 K/sec.  I tried "None, 13," but that caused it to bomb
out altogether.  I'm running bittorrent-3.3-2mdk which was pointed at by
the Mandrakeclub site.  I'm not running the gui I'm just running the
ncurses version.  Can somebody point me to a faq I haven't seen or tell
me something I haven't tried to increase download speed.  I've been
downloading for two days now and I'm only at 5.9%.

TIA

LX