On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Richard wrote:

[Terrible quoting job snipped in its entirety]

> I fixed my Mdk9.1, with info I read on this list some time back,
> as root:  edit the following line in fstab,
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 1 0
> then execute:
> # /sbin/lilo

That is wrong, and also does not effect the change you claim for it.

> Upon reboot it sets the vfat partition read/writeable by users.  I can
> now read and write to the windows partition as user.  No idea if I have
> actually compromised anything.  YMMV.

All fstab entries for non-Linux and/or non-local filesystem formats (vfat,
ntfs, smbfs, nfs) should conclude with " 0 0". Read the fstab man page to
learn what those parameters mean. What allows the r/w access by all users
is the ",umask=0" portion of the options string (the fourth field on the
line), which as you can see is present in both examples. And running lilo
had no effect whatsoever except to rewrite your MBR and replace it with
one that was identical in all respects to the existing one (as the file
that contains its configuration, /etc/lilo.conf, had not been modified).

So, your step 1 changes a valid fstab entry into an incorrect one, and
your step 2 is wholly superfluous. Back to the drawing board, I'd say. :)

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Microsoft has a new version out, Windows XP, which according to every-