On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:55:09AM -0700, Rob Blomquist wrote:

> I am trying to optimize my new drive, and I attempted to set its UDMA mode
> last night:
>
> # hdparm -X70 /dev/hdd
>
> /dev/hdd:
>  setting xfermode to 70 (UltraDMA mode6)
>  HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setxfermode) failed: Input/output error
>
> The drive is ATA 133 and I believe UDMA mode6, consequently. Any ideas on this
> I/O error?
What about the controller and cable.If the contoller will only go to
ATA 66 that's the fastest the drive can be set.UDMA2 is the fastest
setting that could be used withoput the newer 80 wire cable,so if your
cable is the 40 wire version or has a bad connecion it would also cause
the reduced speed.  HTH
Ray Warren