On Friday 31 October 2003 08:25 am, Oscar Retana wrote:
> Hi. Thank you Robert for your answer.
>
> I need to apply a patch to the kernel. I don't want to use my own
> configuration. Instead, I want to use the mandrake kernel
> configuraion (as it is shipped in the CDs), apply the patch, and
> compile it.

    rpm -Uvh kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm

    cd /usr/src/linux

   ......edit Makefile and change the EXTRAVERSION to you liking,
     further down in this file uncomment  #export INSTALL_PATH=/boot

    cp .config conf-save

    make mrproper  (this step is _mandatory_)

    cp conf-save .config

 At this point you can apply your patch, and then go on compiling
the new kernel. A last step of   make install   will install the
kernel in /boot and make the needed links, and add the kernel to
lilo for you  .... if you uncommented   #export INSTALL_PATH=/boot

> So, I was not sure if the .config file the kernel-source rpm
> includes is the oficial configuration mandrake uses

      Yes it is.  If you've already installed Mandrake's precompiled
version of the kernel, then /boot/config-2.4.22-21mdk can also be
used, ie,   cp /boot/config-2.4.22-21mdk /usr/src/linux/.config