Hello,
I recently copied various pdf files and folders from an NTFS partition
on my computer over to my Mandrake 9.2 distro; and I am having some
issues.  When running ls -l as a user, it says that I own the file; and
I get the same permissions when running ls -l as root.  Yet, I am unable
to enact any changes when running chmod as a user (who owns the file) OR
as root.  I noticed that all of the pdf files have a trailing "*" which
I assume to mean the file is an excutable.  However, any pdf's that I
download while using linux do not show up with a trailing "*".  I am
also unable to change any permissions on directories that I transferred
over from an NTFS partition.  What am I missing here; and how do I fix
this?

Thanks,

Brian