On Monday 10 November 2003 07:20 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I did a completely fresh install of 9.2 and installed lilo with no
> problem. However after rebooting, logging in and installing all of the
> upgrades successfully, I then downloaded the updated kernel and did
> an rpm
> -ivh kernel2.4.22-21*.rpm.  The kernel installed, but gave me an error
> when updating lilo.
>
> When attempting to manually update lilo with the new information, the
> following occurs:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# lilo -v
> LILO version 22.5.7.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2003 John Coffman
> Released 20-Aug-2003, and compiled at 16:45:54 on Sep 18 2003
>
> Reading boot sector from /dev/sdd5
> part_nowrite: read:: Input/output error
>
> Anyone know why this is happening?  Never had this problem before
> 9.2!!!

For some reason, it looks like lilo is trying to install in the boot sector of
your root partition instead of in the mbr.  Can you post the contents of your
lilo.conf?  Also, what is your disk partition layout?
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx