Anne Wilson escribió:
On Monday 10 Nov 2003 5:23 am, Michael Noble wrote:

It has been a while since I last dd a disk drive (it is best to
make them the same type and size).  Assuming that the old disk is
/dev/hda and the new disk is /dev/hdb the following command should
work:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

I've heard people recommend this before, but I'm not sure why this is better than cp -a ? I do remember that the last time I tried to copy a whole directory to a new partition I had some problems before I got it right, so I want to be clear before I start.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
suggests to use cp -a
I used that howto many times (either to recover from disk failure or to prepare a copy of the current distribution to a different partition before an upgrade) and I found it very useful.

Bye