-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Stew Benedict
Sent: 13. november 2003 13:20
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Q: Updating disk of 1998 G3 from 6 Gb to... 120Gb?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Morten S. Mortensen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Got a "Blue&White" G3 with a 6 Gb hard disk. Just got it to run Mandrake PPC 9.1.
>
> I would like to upgrade the harddisk, because I need more space.
> Would it be possible to replace the existing 6 Gb with a never IDE disk of a size of
> e.g. 120 Gb? -And run Mandrake on it?
> Does anyone know what restrictions apply for the size of the harddisk??
>
> Does a FAQ on the subject exist?
>
> If the information is worth anything, then - as far as I can tell -  the machine is
> from around 1998, it uses IDE33 and has an OpenFirmware number of 3.1.0 dated
> 1998-something.

Don't know if it applies to the B&W G3's, but the early iMac, like my
RevB, need to find yaboot and the kernel in the first 6GB (I think, may be
8GB).  It's an Open Firmware bug.  What I do is keep the bootstrap below
this limit and use a shared /boot for all the various installs I have on
the drive.

--
Stew Benedict