On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:12:25 -0500, Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thursday 13 November 2003 06:34 am, Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:
Hi!

I took a look about netetiquete and never wonder about hijacking, but how
can you know I hijacked a thread? I use pine. I looked at Mandrake
mailing-list repository and find my e-mail well addressed to the
respective threads though.

Moreover, please, how to reply a e-mail which content says nothing about
the subject, thus needing change subject, but avoiding hijacking?

There is a message ID in the headers which is included in the "In-Reply- To:" field that most mail clients use to thread messages.

Oh! D'oh, now I get it.

Some mail clients thread by subject though, so they escape this.

If the subject of a thread drifts, it is proper, and even desired, to change the subject to reflect what the discussion has become. This is so mail filtering and scoring routines can properly deal with the messages.

Many posters, apparently in an effort to save themselves the time it takes to post a new message, simply reply to any message, delete the whole thing and change the subject.

I'm guilty of this. :-(

This is annoying, because my mail client threads by the message ID, so in a thread about postifx mail headers, you get this (please excuse my ascii art):

Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
|-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
|  |-[expert] Public downloadable 9.2 iso images
|-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
|-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
|-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers

I think people are supposed to ignore these posts in order to encourage the offender to repost properly. I unfortunately let myself be rude instead, for which I apologize.

I'm glad you are! I didn't know that was what was happening. I won't do it anymore.

Phil

--
Using Mandrake Linux 9.1 www.mandrakesoft.com