Hi Adrian,

This is actually straightforward on Linux, which is why we like it :). Just
boot into a different system, like with a boot disk or live image (e.g.
Knoppix), and copy the contents of your /mount/point/of/dev/hdc1 to
/mount/point/of/rootdir/usr with the rsync command:

rsync -av [source/] [desitination]

Read the rsync man page and mind the trailing slash on the source. The hard
part is to know your drives' partition tables, which you already do. Note
that the 'df' command is a comfortable way of finding out what is mounted
where, instead of reading /etc/mtab.

cheers,
Stefan.