Hi Nick

If you are really serious about pushing corrections to the Fabric/Python
documentation, you could just grab a random fabric 'Getting Started'
page and look at the first code line (more or less like I did below).
Since there are so many variations (2 pythons X 3 Fabrics = 6 possible
starting points), just specifying the environment of the first 'Hello
World' example would be a big help.

This is not so easy. With two possibilities of python and three
possibilities of the fabric library, there are six combinations of
starting points before the '>>> from fabric import Connection' line.

The documentation for fabric is quite good looking. However, looking at
Fabric Overview and Tutorial
(http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.14/tutorial.html), the 5th line into that
document recommends looking at the 'usage documentation'
(http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.14/index.html#usage-docs). This is a short
page and on the 4th line it recommends looking at the Overview and
Tutorial (http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.14/tutorial.html), which of
course is the page I just came from. This 'going in circles' is a
metaphor for a lot of the fabric documentation.

----------

Ok, I'm cheating now. I talked with my son for awhile this morning. He
has several remote deployments going in Europe - all using Fabric. I
mentioned that when I put in the @task decorator as you had recommended,
I got an error complaining about "TypeError: Tasks must have an initial
Context argument!". This was a new error for me!!!

My son explained that I needed a few lines at the top of the fabfile.py
to define the environment 'Context' where the command (hello world) will
execute. I said I already was using virtualenv and had the (env) in
front of my shell prompt.

He said that the 'env' I was using was just for Python, not for Fabric.
Fabric needs an *Additional* environment ('Context') set up. In the
Getting Started document, there is no mention of 'Context' prior to the
first >>> code line.

With that new clue, I scrambled off into Google with a new series of
searches - looking for 'Context' in combination with fabric, python, etc.

Many years ago, Niklaus Wirth would insert special tags around code
segments in his book text - so the whole text could be parsed and the
code segments compiled to test for errors. I don't think this trick is
used any more... Swiss perfectionism is needed more than ever.

Python syntax is not a problem. It is similar to Occam, which appeared 8
years before Python. (send instead of save..)