What about including mutation information in the stack comment? So for
instance, sequences:copy would be:

: copy ( src i dest! -- )

And if something has a side-effect on something not on the stack then it can
have some other notation:

: set ( value variable -- !)

By setting these comments on primitives we could infer them about other
words like we do with stack effects.

Of course, it's still confusing to use ! for this, but any old
non-alphanumeric character will do. What about #?

Alex