Thanks for the pointers to books on voting systems; I'll look into them.
BTW, you are correct that PV means "plurality voting," not "preferential
voting." Personally, I call it "tribal voting" because it tends to segregate
people into tribes (liberals versus conservatives, etc.), with each tribe
pushing their headman forward, and the election essentially becoming a
census to determine which tribe has the largest population. In some places,
such as African nations, the tribes are actually ethnic groups in the
traditional sense of the term "tribe."

The voting paradoxes that you mentioned seem to arise mostly in the more
complicated systems where the voters rank their preferences; I don't think
that this is a concern in AV (approval voting). The more important criticism
of AV is that it tends to elect bland and uninspiring candidates --- those
whose best accomplishment is having avoided offending anybody. I can see
this becoming a problem. In our last election using PV we elected Barrack
Obama. He would have likely been elected using AV too. His campaign was
based entirely on vague meaningless words such as "hope" and "change." None
of that means anything! I didn't bother to buy his book because it wasn't
worth the money, but I did read the chapter on the Constitution when I was
in the bookstore. All he really said was that he had read the document. Who
hasn't? Why is he more qualified to be President than I am? In regard to the
Second Amendment, he said that it was a contentious issue. Well, we can all
agree on that. Does this mean that he is going to crack down on gun
ownership or focus on prosecuting crimes that have victims? He didn't say.
He is a complete unknown. With AV our elections could devolve into a circus
of the bland, in which every candidate strives only to avoid saying anything
that could possibly cause any voter to disapprove of him.

On the subject of our new leader, here is an interesting article:
http://www.pennypresslv.com/Obama's_Use_of_Hidden_Hypnosis_techniques_in_His_Speeches.pdf

I was going to upload the voting simulation program (votsim) this weekend,
but it will likely be next weekend when I do. It is going to be pretty
simple. It won't take into account what Brams refers to as "strategic
voting," but will only consider "sincere voting." For example, imagine an
election where the early results show that the Republican is a certain
winner. Republicans who haven't voted yet may decide to vote for Ralph Nader
rather than the Republican candidate. The idea is that the Republican is
going to win anyway and doesn't need the vote. Voting for Ralph Nader
encourages him to keep running. Perhaps the next election will be closer and
Nader's presence will steal votes from the Democrat and tip the scales to
the Republican. This kind of strategic voting can't really be incorporated
into simulation software. As for a test of fairness, I am just going to
compare the results to the Condorcet winner to see if they are the same.