Hi,
I just bootstrapped the latest factor version and put my computer to
sleep in the middle of it for about 20 minutes. The bootstrapping
times were :
Bootstrap completed in 8 minutes and 1 seconds.   -- didn't sleep
Bootstrap completed in 8 minutes and 28 seconds. -- slept 20 min

this is on linux x86.32

cheers,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Doug Coleman <doug.cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I moved the monotonic counter code to the VM and adapted the threads
> vocabulary to use it.  The reason for moving to the VM is so that threads
> works with the non-optimizing compiler.  Previously, we had a VM primitive
> 'micros' and a utility word 'millis', which returned system time, and the
> library word monotonic-count, which returned a nanosecond count from an
> arbitrary offset.
>
> In order to make it more clear to the user if they're getting system time or
> some arbitrary count of incrementing nanoseconds, I renamed a few words:
>
> millis -> system-millis
> micros -> system-micros
> monotonic-count -> nano-count
>
> Now it should be apparent which words are useful in which situations --
> system-millis and system-micros for obtaining system time for date
> calculations, and nano-count for timing and profiling.
>
> One benefit of moving to monotonic timers is that Factor no longer hangs when
> you set your system clock ahead, as it used to when timers were based off
> system time.  I should have fixed this problem much sooner.
>
> Doug

Jon Harper