There is a subfolder in my work folder called .git  This is what  I think of
as the repository.

Yes.  But this is a source of some confusion.  I think of the .git directory
as the repo, too, and the directory that includes it as the working
directory, into which the compressed code in .git is uncompressed and made
ready for  a developer's use.  So we have the working directory whose
contents are reconstituted from the .git directory inside it.  The .git
itself is not one of these reconstituted folders, obviously, because it is
the source.  You can add code to a .git directory always in compressed form
with commands clone, fetch, pull, and push.

 When you do a git add or commit, it's  going between these two places.
When you do a clone, push, pull, or fetch you're going to some remote place
as well.

Someone please check the following statements for accuracy:

A == remote repo

B == local repo

C == local working directory including by definition the local repo (.git
directory)

1) clone copies compressed files from a remote repo to a local repo, creates
remote-tracking branches for each branch in the remote repository, and
creates and checks out an initial branch forked from the cloned repository's
currently active branch.  A -> B -> C.

2) checkout updates files in the working directory to match the version in
the specified branch of the repo.  By default, the current branch is set to
the specified branch.   B -> C.

3) fetch only copies compressed files from a remote repo to a local repo.  A
-> B.

3) pull  fetches and then merges the fetched code into the current branch.
A -> B.   No check-out is done; so how does the repo code get into the
working directory (C)?  In practice, I think our factor.cmd does a pull that
puts code in the working directory, which is where the compiler goes for its
source during the build.  So this is not clear to me.  Perhaps I don't
understand what merge means.

5) merge replays changes from a specified branch into the current branch.
The changes are those resulting from commits in the specified branch since
it diverged from the current branch.  This looks like a local, repo-only
operation:  B -> B.

4) push copies compressed files from a local repo to a remote one, to update
it.  B -> A

Shaping