You need a status window to have a status bar and display tooltips.
The listener is a status window, so displaying a button in the
listener will show the tooltip:
"foo" [ drop ] <border-button> "bar" >>tooltip gadget.

If you want to use the button in your own window, use
open-status-window to create your window instead of open-window. You
can read more at
http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-ui.gadgets.status-bar.html

Jon