On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Slava Pestov <sl...@factorcode.org> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM, John Porubek <jporu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the response. So I was barking up the wrong tree, huh?
>> Nothing new there. Good thing I asked the question. Isn't there some
>> way I can use Factor's built-in debugging support to at least tell me
>> which specific image is not being found so I could have more of a clue
>> as to what's going wrong?
>
> There's code in the git repository for this. We should have a Windows
> binary soon.

What's it called? Could be useful in Linux, too.

>> I also tried to get it working in Windows 7 after I downloaded and
>> installed "oalinst" and "freealut-1.1,0-bin". The installer put the
>> "OpenAL32.dll" file in C:\Windows\System32, so I put "alut.dll" there,
>> too. However, the examples that came with "freealut" wouldn't work
>> until I put "alut.dll" in C:\Windows, so I put a copy of
>> "OpenAL32.dll" there, too.  No joy. I still get the same "The image
>> refers to a library or symbol that was not found at load time"
>> message.
>
> Is your copy of Factor a 64-bit build? If so, the libraries have to be
> 64-bit (or vice versa).

I'm a little embarrassed that this never occurred to me. So while I
was ranting about it being a "Factor's support of Windows" thing, it
was really something else that just happened to appear under Windows.

I _was_ using a 64-bit build of Factor on my Windows 7 machine. While
the openal installer says "The installer supports both 32-bit and
64-bit versions of Windows", this doesn't necessarily mean it installs
both32-bit and 64-bit libraries (does it?). In any event, there's no
mention at all about a 64-bit version of alut.

So I tried a 32-bit build of Factor on a WinXP machine and viola - it
works! One thing I noticed on the way to getting it working, however,
is that the Linux error messages while I was trying set rom-root
correctly were much more helpful than the analogous messages under
Windows. Under Linux, it told me the entire path it was trying to use.
Under Windows, however, I only got a message that told me my attempt
was incorrect.

>> But I'm mostly happy to have it working under Linux. I prefer Linux
>> for most of my development work and I've come to accept that Windows
>> is sort of the "poor step child" in the world of Factor. Examples of
>> this are the lack of real serial port support for Windows and the fact
>> that none of the demo slide shows display properly under Windows.
>
> Other than that, most things do work on Windows. I forgot about the
> slide show thing; I'll file a bug about it.

I tried some slide show demos under WinXP just in case and they didn't
run there, either.

I want to thank you for your patience. A couple of times now I have
complained about something not working in Factor and you have
good-naturedly either fixed it (the Help "delay" example) or at least
added it to the bug list (slide shows not working under Windows). I
want to help make Factor better too, not come across as a whiner. With
that in mind, what is the best way to report a bug or anomaly? Here in
the mailing list or is there a more formal bug tracking system?

> Cheers,
>
> Slava

--John