John,
Following are the messages I got when I ran the command in a shall:

hokan@ubuntu:~$ emacsclient --no-wait +5
/home/hokan/stwork/DuDang/DuDang.factoremacsclient: can't find socket; have you
started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

        --socket-name
        --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
        --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
If I run Emacs and type "M-x server-start" beforehand, then I can jump to the
definition successfully. But I don’t like the additional steps.

copies of the original message.