I think there is a danger in proliferation of too many packages with too
many versions here.  One advantage that Factor has had, albeit a mixed
advantage due to reduced resources at times, is one main codebase that can
be improved in wide cross-cutting ways.  That has resulted in a lot of
common vocabulary improvements instead of forks.

We should support packages, and versions, and freezing of requirements for
your application, but lets not lose sight of the benefits we've enjoyed
thus far.

As an aside, the CPAN testing infrastructure is something to be copied.
 Every time someone uploads a new module it goes through various automated
testing on different architectures, and produces a build report back to
you.  That combined with some kind of cross-module lint tool might be able
to yield the "strong commons" that I appreciate in Factor.

Best,
John.

P.S. Let's not paint ourselves into a "dependency hell" situation either...