Hi John,

Thanks for the great feedback!

2013/6/24 John Benediktsson <mrj...@gmail.com>
> I believe vprintf and vsprintf are now available in formatting
> vocabulary, so you wouldn't need to duplicate that functionality if a
> user has a recent developer version of Factor.  The original "macro"
> version of printf is still useful because it can expands the format
> string at parse time.

Oh, I didn't know that. Does the Windows prebuilt development releases
include those features? They are dated April 26 and April 24, so I
assume they aren't. But it would be very nice if they where updated. :)
It is so difficult to compile source on Windows so you can't expect most
users to be able to do it, like you can on Linux.

> For simple text data, you can use strings.tables to format it
> (automatically makes the columns as wide as necessary for the data),
> or if you want to apply styles (colors, fonts etc) to the text you can
> use tabular-output or stream-write-table.  Your version with
> fixed-width columns and table headers for strings might be a nice
> addition to strings.tables if you want to factor it out.

I tried format-table in strings.tables first, but quickly discarded the
idea because it left-aligns all columns. Numeric cell data should almost
always be right-aligned even if the header looks best when centered or
left-aligned. I think it would be hard to integrate what I've written
with what exists there but I can try.

> I'm not sure it is good practice to shadow a core word such as "read",
> although one could argue that it makes your interface simpler and a user
> would be unlikely to confuse the two.  But maybe "10 post" would be a
> better name to get them and "10 post." would be a better name to get and
> print (using our "dot" convention for words that write/print text).

I didn't know that was a convention! Is there any page in the manual for
"special characters?" "?" obviously indicates a boolean predicate but
what about the other characters? Would ">>word" be a setter for example?

For example, I've tried implementing state using the namespaces vocab
(which I'm not at all sure is right) and setter and getter words named
set-pagesize and get-pagesize. But I thought long and hard whether
"set-pagesize" should be called ">>pagesize" and "get-pagesize"
"pagesize>>" instead.

> Are you interested in contributing this to the main repository?  It's a
> pretty neat vocabulary and a great example / tutorial for our users.

Thanks! I'll do that when I consider the code done - it's definitely a
work in progress still.

--
mvh Björn Lindqvist