> On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 06:44:32PM -0500, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
>> If we met users half way, presenting .deb's, .rpm's, maybe a ppa repo, that
>> would be a great start.
>
> As a first step, I recommend using https://build.opensuse.org/
>
> It is slightly openSUSE centered, but makes it easy to check that your
> basic rpm & deb build for ubuntu, debian, fedora and openSUSE.

A while ago I created Ubuntu packages for Factor and put them in my
PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~bjourne/+archive/factor

Someone has also packaged Factor for Arch:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/factor/

A big problem is that Factors build doesn't make it easy to install
system-wide in a typical Linux setup. So you have to add lots of hacks
to the build to add support for prefixed installation, with binary and
support files split in different directories. It's a lot of work and
hard to keep it in sync with Factors github repository. A smaller
problem is that some Factor words wants to overwrite the image and
file and write in directories relative to the executable file which
obviously is problematic on Linux where writes outside of $HOME is
forbidden. But I think most Linux users can live with that limitation.

So to address the problematic build I've created an alternate build
process which you are welcome to check out here:
https://github.com/slavapestov/factor/pull/934 It's written using waf
which I think is great for complicated build-processes like Factor's.
With the branch, the build command becomes "python waf.py configure
--prefix=/opt/factor2 build && sudo python waf.py install". Using that
as their base, I believe someone knowledgable of their distro's build
system could very easily package Factor.

Then to actually get distros to put Factor in their repos would entail
reopening tickets like this:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=471925 Plus, Debian
has some bureaucratic rules on packages they ship. Like requiring a
man page.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist