Hi all,

I am new to Factor and I am just starting to dablle with it. I have to
say that I am impressed that such a small community created a
programming language this mature and all the libraries that surround
it.

I am trying to figure out the current situtation about multithreading.
On the one hand, I see that there is a vocabulary for cooperative
multithreading, and I remember having read in the docs and in this
mailing list that many words are not thread-safe and hence os theads
or greenlets (M:N scheduling) are not supported.

On the other hand on

http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-concurrency.futures.html

I read "futures, which are deferred computations performed in a
background thread" and in fact under the documentation for the future
word "The quotation begins with an empty data stack, an empty catch
stack, and a name stack containing the global namespace only".

Am I right in understanding that futures actually do run in a
different OS thread that shares nothing with the creating thread? Is
there a way to communicate between futures, maybe by passsing some
sort of channel into the quotation that starts it, so that one can
take advantage of multiple cores in a single factor program?

Andrea